Thursday, September 13, 2012

NFL Week 1 Thoughts

I had a pretty awesome week 1 to the NFL season, it is pretty rare that I have a day when both my NFL teams win let alone all three of my teams win the first year I start cheering for the Jets.


Jets @ Bills


I started cheering for the Jets following the Tim Tebow trade, but I was always a little bit of a Jets fan over the last few years. I really enjoy Rex Ryan as a head coach, if I were a football player, he would be the kind of person I would want to be coached by. He seams like a players coach to me, an overall good guy that likes to have fun, and people seem to hate him for some reason, so naturally, that makes me a fan of his.

Also to me, the Jets are a little bit of that underdog team that I like to root for, even in their own city. The first thing you think of when you when you hear the words "New York Football" are the Giants. It is simple. They have the history, the championships and even had the stadium named after them before MetLife was built, Giants Stadium.

Being a fan of such sports team like; The Cubs, The Bobcats, The Rays and The Arizona Cardinals, I thought I knew all about what bad sports were. I was wrong. I had never seen a team play as bad at the Jets did in all four preseason game that I watched. No way I thought I was going to see what I saw on Sunday.

48 Points. Mark Sanchez was 19/27 for 266 Yards, 3 Touchdowns and 1 really bad interception on the 1st drive of the game. Sanchez was awesome after drive one. Yes I was watching the Jets game just to see Tebow play, but it was Sanchez who put on a show.

I will say I did enjoy watching the two quarterbacks swap in and out. As a fan, I really had a good time with the two quarterback system. Simply put, it made the game fun to watch.

Tebow did not play his best, he had 5 rushes for 11 yards and an onside kick recovery. As Skip Bayless pointed out on Twitter, he appeared to be having some back issues, however I know this whole thing is a work in progress and I know the real Tebow I saw play in Denver the last two seasons will show up soon in New York.

The only thing I did not like from the Jets is once they got the big lead they appeared to me, just my opinion, to give up a little bit and let the Bills fight back into the game scoring three touchdowns in the second half. In the NFL you can't do that too often before it comes back to bite you. On the Bills side, I was really impressed with CJ Spiller. 14 rushes for 169 yards and a score. Keep an eye out for this guy the rest of this season.





Seahawks @ Cardinals

Up next for me was the Cardinals game. For the second year in a row the Cardinals opened up their season at home vs a rookie quarterback and for the second year in a row they were winners, 20-16.

The Cardinals and the Seahawks are the only two teams in the NFL that have millions of dollars invested into their backup quarterbacks haha. In his debut for the Seahawks Russell Wilson looked a little messy, but I think in time he has the chance to be really good and the kind of quarterback that Pete Carroll really likes.

The Cardinals quarterback problems got even worse. I still to this day, even as a Broncos fan, think that Peyon Manning's best fit would have been to go to Arizona and play for the Cardinals. But that is another blog for another time.

John Skelton was all right in the game. He was 14-28 for 149 yards along with a pick and a fumble. The Cards took a big lead into the locker room at the half but then the Seahawks fought back to take the lead. It was then that Skelton went down with a leg injury and backup Kevin Kolb came into the game and went 6-8 for 66 yards and the game winning touchdown.

The ending of the game was crazy with the Cardinals defense holding the Seahawks on the goal line to prevent the Seahawk win. I think the Cardinals D is VERY underrated and I look forward to seeing what they can do next week against the Patriots and Tom Brady.

Bad memories last time the Cardinals played the Patriots. If you don't know what I mean, Google it, its worth a Google. Lets see if Kolb can win his job back next week.




Steelers @ Broncos

The night was caped off over at Hunter Robinson's Hunter's Mountain home for Sunday night football.

The big debut for Peyton Manning in the orange and blue. I never cared much for Tim Tebow when he played at Florida. I did not hate him or anything like most people do for some reason, but I just never really paid attention to him. When Tebow became a Bronco, I became a fan.

The more all the "experts" on ESPN (talking to you Steve A. Smith and Collin Cowherd) trashed Tebow and said he could not play football (never mind the broken records, SEC championships, National Championships and Heisman Trophy) I became more of a fan of his. Not only is Tebow a great quarterback and a great football player, he is a great person.

So for quite a while I will do nothing but compare Manning to Tebow when I watch a Broncos game. Again, this is just me, but Manning struggled just a little bit against the same Steelers team Tebow dominated a season ago. Manning also had to dig into the Tebow bag of tricks and pull out a 70 yard Demaryius Thomas Touchdown in the game to save himself.

What disappointed me the most is when Manning really struggled early in the game, John Fox and company let Manning run the no huddle offense and the Broncos would go on to score three touchdowns.

Why was Tebow not able to do this same thing last season when he struggled? Tebow always played his best when the game was on the line, in the no huddle spread offense, throwing the football all over the place quickly. Peyton got to do this all game long every time he got into a tight spot. Tebow did not receive that same treatment. They held him down until the 4th quarter before they left him break loose.

None the less, Manning did play as well as I expected him too and the Broncos took down the Steelers 31-19. I was most impressed with Tracy Porter's play on defense with his first game as a Bronco. He was awesome and he looks like he could be that missing piece that Broncos were waiting for to help out Champ Bailey at corner.

3-0 for my teams in week one...lets make it 6-0 next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment